2009 Quevedo Single Varietal Samples

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

2009 Quevedo Single Varietal Samples

Post by Eric Menchen »

These were from a non-commercial sample pack obtained in conjunction with a :ftlop2014: buying opportunity. The bottles were smaller than a 375ml bottle, with very tiny corks. All bottles were popped-and-poured, then tasted again a day later after being stored at room temperature in the corked bottle.

2009 Quevedo Sousão (single varietal sample)
Lots of grape and grape stem aroma, with some cinnamon. Fairly light, with lots of citrus and red berry. Light tannins and tangy in the mouth, this has a medium finish. Day 2: Still has grape stem along with eucalyptus too, along with a tiny bit of bay leaf and some rotting leaf as well. In the mouth, this is jammy sweet, and has more tannin than yesterday. The orange citrus returns in the medium finish.

2009 Quevedo Tinto Cão (single varietal sample)
Smells more complex than any of the other single varietals, more like a blend. There is some candied fruit aroma too, almost like a Jolly Rnacher. In the mouth, this is the most tannic of the varietal samples, incredibly tannic. There is fruit in the mouth too, like concentrated watermelon. Day 2: Fruity aroma with a hint of tar. Still quite tannic, with lighter fruit and body in the mouth. There is also some lemon citrus to go along with the rest of the fruit.

2009 Quevedo Tinto Roriz (single varietal sample)
Aromas of eucalyptus and herbs. Lots of sweet fruit, almost peachy. Quite light and not particularly tannic. This improved later and seemed more tannic then. Day 2: Aroma of red hot cinnamon, along with some alcohol warmth, and a slight bit of rubbing alcohol. More alcohol and cinnamon in the mouth, with some tangy berry and cherry. Then some sweet fruit, noted on day one, returned. Medium finish, although the tanginess carries with a hint of fig.

2009 Quevedo Touriga Franca (single varietal sample)
Jammy fruity aroma, and a little herb, almost piney, then more sweet. Lots of acid, good tannins. Warm in the finish. Day 2: Noticeably more pink/magenta than the others. There is a medicinal alcohol aroma with that hint of pine. In the mouth, strong tannins remain, along with tangy, juicy, acidity. Still a little warm in the finish, but nicely integrated and pleasant now. There is also a hint of raspberry.

2009 Quevedo Touriga Nacional (single varietal sample)
Deeper fruit aroma, and more alcohol, compared to the sousão. More tangy, more acetic, and more tannin. Compared to both the sousão and the roriz, this also smells the oldest. Day 2: Aromas of dark berry—blackberry and black cherry. Flavors are similar, along with good acid. Tannins are still there and carry through the strong finish.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 2009 Quevedo Single Varietal Samples

Post by Andy Velebil »

Nice notes. I have one pack left. I suppose I should revisit it soon.

So, which was your favorites?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Since these were not intended as VPs, nor even release wines, I intentionally didn't score them. I just tried to capture what the grapes were giving me. But if I had to pick one or two of these to drink, I would pick the Tinto Cão and the Touriga Nacional. I wanted to like the Roriz, because I generally like that grape a lot in dry wines, but this sample didn't come through for drinking on its own. The Cão did, which was a bit of a surprise to me. The Nacional wasn't that much of a surprise, and it was really wonderful on the second day.
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

I completely forgot about these. Thanks for the notes (and the reminder)...
:D

Did you try to make your own blend?
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Marco D. wrote:Did you try to make your own blend?
Nope--there wasn't enough for that. On day one these were shared with a few other people.
Dries V.

Post by Dries V. »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Nope--there wasn't enough for that. On day one these were shared with a few other people.
I still have a pack of these as well. Would you say it is about time to open them or keep them for a bit longer?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Dries V. wrote:
Eric Menchen wrote:
I still have a pack of these as well. Would you say it is about time to open them or keep them for a bit longer?
Good question....I may open mine on Easter depending on Eric's answer
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

They were fun to open when I did, and tasting just fine without any sign of fading. Based on that, there is no rush. On the other hand, I worry about those tiny corks for the long term.