1963 Burmester Colheita port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Rune EG

1963 Burmester Colheita port

Post by Rune EG »

In 2009 during the financial crisis, the Danish importer of Burmester purchased several hundred thousand bottles of Burmester ports, mainly tawnies and colheitas. Still a good purchase, but back in early 2011 when we purchased several of the older colheitas, the prices were low compared to market level. Have now opened the first of three 1963 Burmester Colheitas. Expectations were high, and they were fulfiiled. 96 pts is a very high score.

Bottled 2009. Decanted 2 hrs. Transparent medium dark cognac colour with actually a touch of red. Aroma of nuts more than wood, distinct citrus in a pleasant way. Alcohol was there, but in a balanced way. Tiny bit bitter. Full body. The taste is super elegant, and still powerful. Citrus and wood in a fantastic harmony. Well integrated tannins. Although smooth this colheita is still having a “personality”. Long aftertaste. 96 pts.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1963 Burmester Colheita port

Post by Andy Velebil »

:shock: that is a high score for you!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

Yes it is Andy.
But his one was very nice. I remember this port from our visit to Sogevinus as part of the 2010 FTLOP Harvest Tour.
I am a bit sceptical to tawnies/colheitas as I am leaning more to the vintage/LBV side of ports, but when such quality is served, then it is being rated high.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am glad to see that someone agrees with me that this is truly an outstanding Colheita. :lol:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com