1963 Graham's Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

1963 Graham's Vintage Port

Post by David Spriggs »

Bottled by Tanner's of Shrewsbury. Purchased from auction in Wales. I've had good luck with Tanner's bottled wines, so I have high hopes! On opening, the wine was quite thin looking. Almost a rosé. The nose was a cloying strawberry. It reminded me of 1975 Cockburn. Not bad, but not what you'd expect. With time in the decanter it gained color and weight. After 4 hours it was delicious, if not profound. Very smooth and very easy to drink. It was a hit with everyone who tasted it. I gave it 92 points. Four days later I am opening the bottle again after having stored it in my cold wine cabinet. Much darker and more youthful looking now, and (not surprisingly) tasting much more youthful as well. Real really impressive nose. This is Vintage Port. Lately I've had so many Madeira and Colheita that I've lost track of bottle aged ports. The nose is classic bottle aged port. The palate is sublime. Definitely red fruits. That's what I would expect from Graham's. Very smooth, but then in the finish enough subtle tannin to keep things interesting. Perfect acidity so that you taste the sweetness of the fruit, but it seems so fresh and never cloying. In contrast to Madeira and Colheita, there are no oxidation notes at all. Actually the acidity is what really stands out for me. FRESH! How can it taste so fresh after 50+ years and 4 days opened? A wonderful bottle! 96 points.