1997 Souza VP

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Russ K

1997 Souza VP

Post by Russ K »

from buying opportunity in December 2013.

Capsule was beat to heck but the cork underneath in perfect condition.
Color deep deep purple, red to very faint pink rim showing youth, on pop and pour, lots of formaldehyde in the nose, needs some breathing room.
1/2 hr in starting to settle, still very medicinal on the nose, not overly pleasant. acidic notes on the tongue, but the fruit is trying to shine through, not a ton of tannic structure but its there. Once the acid boils off the tongue a nice silken finish.
2 hrs in, I don't think this nose gets any better, which is disappointing....otherwise it is starting to round out. unfortunate I was not able to decant properly as my decanters and screen are in Calgary and I am in Denver. that may help the nose come around faster.
3 hrs in, this is coming around nicely now, acid notes diminishing and a more tannic structure with brighter fruits (dark berries). this is beginning to show good structure and promise
88+
will revisit tomorrow
John M.

Re: 1997 Souza VP

Post by John M. »

The one time I had this is was markedly better by far at day and a half than earlier.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

A VP you don't read about very often. Curious as to your impressions on day 2.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yeah, same here. I've had four or five bottles of this since Christmas last year ... with polar opposite impressions, so I am very curious to hear how this wound up. :winepour:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Russ K

Post by Russ K »

I missed these replies sorry, Seem to kind of fall off if memory serves, but less foul on the nose...I should check in more often. :oops:
Russ