1991 Fonseca Guimaraens Vintage Port -- .375ml bottle

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

1991 Fonseca Guimaraens Vintage Port -- .375ml bottle

Post by Andy Velebil »

Decanted 4 hours from a .375ml bottle. Still a dark ruby with some bricking now evident. The nose is a rich dried flower with dark licorice and mocha. The palate is reaching maturity, at least in this size format, and is full of baked cherry pie filling, licorice, eucalyptus, black tea leaves, and light tannins and moderate acidity. I really enjoy where this is at as it drinks very well right now in this smaller size. I can surmise 750ml bottles are going to show younger than this and thus still have some upside potential. But in this 1/2 bottle format, this getting near peak, which will probably be sometime in the next 2-3 years. I say that as in this smaller format the tannins and acidity are starting to drop out faster than the fruit is maturing, a classic "peter pan" syndrome some Ports suffer from as they age. However, right now I enjoy where this is at...a lovely Port.
91 Points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com