1970 Graham Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

1970 Graham Vintage Port

Post by Glenn E. »

From a case I purchased during Zachy's auction last November. I didn't take detailed notes as I'd opened it for dinner at Lot No. 3 in Bellevue, but I did make a mental note about the cocoa and dark cherries. Exceptionally smooth, balanced tannins and acidity, with just a hint of heat to start out, but the heat may have been due to only having time for a 2-hour decant. By the end of the evening there was no heat at all.

I struggled with a score because it was really, really good. I was afraid that the ambiance (or the One Armed Bandit cocktail I'd started with) might be affecting my perception. But I kept flashing back to the 1976 Krohn Colheita that we had on Sunday at the 9th Anniversary Tasting and this G70 was comparable. So my score reflects that.

I can only hope that the remaining 8 bottles show as well. Simply magnificent.

97 points.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 1970 Graham Vintage Port

Post by Roy Hersh »

A great 1970, and a very fine Graham's in a long and consistent line of VPs by this producer.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

:) looking fwd to the 11 left from the case I got alongside yours. The first bottle was overshadowed by a 70 Fonseca I had had just a few days earlier.
Celia C

Post by Celia C »

How wonderful! I bought a case at auction in 2000 (or thereabouts) and after a decade in my cellar, most of the corks leaked badly. That was fortuitous in that it meant we had to drink quite a lot of bottles in a short period of time, and every single one of them was spectacular, despite the leakages. A couple of bottles weren't leaking, and they're in my cellar today, so I'm very happy to know that it's still drinking so well, thank you! :)
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Celia C wrote:How wonderful! I bought a case at auction in 2000 (or thereabouts) and after a decade in my cellar, most of the corks leaked badly. That was fortuitous in that it meant we had to drink quite a lot of bottles in a short period of time, and every single one of them was spectacular, despite the leakages. A couple of bottles weren't leaking, and they're in my cellar today, so I'm very happy to know that it's still drinking so well, thank you! :)
Yikes! Did the cellar get warm?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

The 1970 I own the most of.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Celia C

Post by Celia C »

Andy no, all the other ports were fine. Just this particular case, but I had bought it at auction so not sure what provenance was. I suspect the corks just weren't great either. It made me change how I store my ports though - I now have them all out on racks where I can keep an eye on them!