1985 Smith Woodhouse vintage port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Rune EG

1985 Smith Woodhouse vintage port

Post by Rune EG »

Have had many of this vintage port and this tasting note is an average of three bottles. Giving two points less than last posted on FTLOP three years ago. This vintage port is turning towards tawny style and may have also been on the top. Which means that my remaining six bottles will be high up on the “drinking list”.

Decanting 7 hrs. Medium to light redbrown colour and on the way to turn into tawny colour. Spicy aroma of oak and berries. Well balanced, quite smooth but also significant tannins towards the end (pepper). Long aftertaste. 90 pts.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1985 Smith Woodhouse vintage port

Post by David Spriggs »

I have a case of this that remains sealed. It sounds like I need to open it up and check it out.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Wow, this usually gets pretty good reviews and is still youthful. Though some notes would seem to indicate there may be some bottle variation, or some that had storage issues earlier on.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

I purchased two cases of each 6 btls in 2009 and another case of 6 btls in 2010 (as I was pleased with the experience in 2009). They were all purchased through the State wine sales her in Norway. I do not know whether they came directly from Portugal or had been elsewhere.
For those who like the tawny style of vintage ports they may rate it higher than me, but based on the last three bottles my impression is that there will "slow slide in rates". It would be interesting to hear if other FTLOP-members have opened SW bottles from 1985 lately.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thanks. Next time I head to my offsite I'll try and remember to pull a bottle and see how mine are showing.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I have 2 bottles of SW85, one of which is destined for the 1985 Horizontal in January. Sounds like I might want to open the other one this fall just to see what's going on.
Glenn Elliott