1940 Niepoort Garrafeira Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Justin K

Niepoort 1940

Post by Justin K »

Further to a previous query I had regarding a bottle of Dow 1940, I eventually dug up some info that may also be applicable to the Niepoort 1940. Mr. Dominic M. Symington wrote to me in 1990 and I quote "during the "War" no Vintages as such were Declared, but it was general practice for most Shippers to bottle a small quantity of Port every year to lay down, as had been done during most of the first half of the century.........The result of not having Declared any Vintages during the War and the economic situation immediately afterwards meant that in the late '50's and early '60's a shortage of mature Port occurred. At this time the IECWS (Wine Society, England) visited Oporto and bought up all the "bin ends" of mature Port they could, amongst these was some Dow 1940 "Un-Declared" Vintage Port, so as to fill the gap until the '50's wine matured. The few '40's wines being very scarce." I hope this helps also note the use of capital letters in Mr Symington's letter. I can't comment on the port itself as I still haven't tasted it!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I know Dominic quite well and am surprised that he'd say that no vintages were declared during the war years.

For example, the decent but not great vintage of 1942 saw 6 declarations. The fact that growing conditions in 1941, 1943 and 1944 were nothing special is an aside. There were still 3 highly regarded vintages in the second half of the 1940s. 1945, 1947 and 1948 with 11, 5 and 3-4 declarations respectively. 1945 the legendary year that ended WW11 resulted in some of the greatest Ports of the century and 1948 as well mad absolutely incredible VPs.

1950 is often overlooked, but there were 7 Shippers that did declare. In 1952 was better known for some fantastic Colheitas by Niepoort (Garrafeira actually), Kopke and Dalva come to mind as my 3 favorites but there are others too, however there were at least 4 Vintage Ports declared that year and even the mediocre 1954 resulted in 3 declarations, although next to impossible to find. The 1955 was the next GREAT vintage after 1948 and there were 23 companies that made VP in that vintage.

Dirk's father Rolf (still alive) and his grandfather made some incredible vintage Ports and between 1912 and 1952, just might have been the true glory years for the house until Dirk came along. Of course unknown Niepoorts that came inbetween like the 1959, but also more popular 1963/1970 vintages were produced too. But I think that there was a quality gap from '70 (MAYBE 1985 Niepoort is a decent exception) until 1992 when I think Dirk made his first great VP. Ever since, he's been incredibly consistent in virtually every declared harvest year. Just some added perspective and ramblings.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

Post by John Danza »

Roy Hersh wrote: 1950 is often overlooked, but there were 7 Shippers that did declare.
I've had the 1950 Niepoort Colheita, and it's an excellent wine. And in a kind of related note, I had a 1908 Niepoort Colheita that was bottled in 1950 and that was fabulous.
Roy Hersh wrote: Of course unknown Niepoorts that came inbetween like the 1959
There's a 1959 Niepoort? Is it a VP or Colheita? I would love to get a bottle of that for my 50th birthday dinner in a couple of years. Please let me know.

All the best,
John
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have one bottle still sitting in my cellar in great shape. It is a Colheita Port. I have never seen it on the market during this decade though, except in Portugal. You can find them there for about $350-400 by the time you get it back to the USA. I consumed one bottle of this last June while in Oporto. For a 50th birth year wine, this is reasonable.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Re:

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Roy Hersh wrote:
Dirk's father Rolf (still alive) and his grandfather made some incredible vintage Ports and between 1912 and 1952, just might have been the true glory years for the house until Dirk came along. Of course unknown Niepoorts that came inbetween like the 1959, but also more popular 1963/1970 vintages were produced too. But I think that there was a quality gap from '70 (MAYBE 1985 Niepoort is a decent exception) until 1992 when I think Dirk made his first great VP. Ever since, he's been incredibly consistent in virtually every declared harvest year. Just some added perspective and ramblings.
Every generations has a fantastic Van der Niepoort. And the above story from Roy is wery close to the truth. On a woodenbox containing a niepoort VV, Rolf wrote, "this Wine is possibly the Best port produced in the House in the 1960s and the 1970s".
For my part, Rolf must have forgotten about the year of 1963. :P
So I guess in lesser years, when the grapes and weather was not generous, Rolf turned to his MasterBlender, and put togethers his dads invention (the originally VV).
May the Best port win
Allan
Frederick Blais

Re: 1940 Niepoort Garrafeira Port

Post by Frederick Blais »

There is one bottle of 1959 Colheita from Niepoort that just appeared at Hart Davis Hart in Chicago... along witha a few Noval 1970 at 150$ a piece, thought it was worth mentionning :)
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

Post by John Danza »

Frederick Blais wrote:There is one bottle of 1959 Colheita from Niepoort that just appeared at Hart Davis Hart in Chicago... along witha a few Noval 1970 at 150$ a piece, thought it was worth mentionning :)
Thanks Frederick. I'm going to check out the 1959.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Both times I've had it, it was a lust affair. Great juice and if it is your birth year ... a no-brainer.
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

I will try to find a good occasion to drink my Garrafeira 40.
I had a small hope of collecting all of the 9 Garrafeiras made....But I guess that is a long term project :wink:

I know, that some guys in Germany tried to hold a vertikal tasting with all the Garrafeiras, but for some reason the tasting was cancelled.

At a friends house - Can You guess his Birth year? I came acros this bottle....my hand, But not my bottle [beg.gif]

Hi didnt open it. Instead we had a cockburn 1963 and a ferreira 1978. Not bad!
A nice Riesling for starters, and a magnum Chateau du Pape with the maincourse.
Did I say, we where 2 couple around the table...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (210.68 KiB) Viewed 1291 times