1977 Graham's Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Celia C

1977 Graham's Vintage Port

Post by Celia C »

Opened for my friend Carol's 50th. Bottle was picked up as part of a job lot and not in great condition - cork was weaping and ullage was at high shoulder. Cork fell straight in as soon as I tried to use the Ah-So. Decanted through muslin and left to breathe for 13 hours, then drunk over the following three.

Absolutely delicious, by 8pm the spirity alcohol had mellowed out leaving a smooth, rich flavour and mouthfeel. Deep reddish hues, sweet Graham's dark fruits and clean, reasonably long finish. Lifted aromatic nose, particularly after breathing. Tasting this right after the Graham's 2008 LBV, I was once again reminded of how much I enjoy Graham's ports and how consistent their flavour profile is. Perfect with chocolates and dulce de leche cake for dessert.

This was the worst ullaged bottle of the six I bought, so I'm absolutely delighted! 93 points
Last edited by Celia C on Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Menchen

Re: 1977 Graham's Vintage Port

Post by Eric Menchen »

Thanks for the wonderful note, and I'm glad your bottle showed so well. There are bottles in poor condition, and bottles that show poorly; and I'm surprised how much these two do not coincide.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Celia C

Post by Celia C »

Thanks Eric - I've learnt to never automatically write off a bottle of VP - I've tasted ones with levels down below the shoulder which have been fantastic! :)
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Celia C wrote:I've learnt to never automatically write off a bottle of VP - I've tasted ones with levels down below the shoulder which have been fantastic! :)
The same thing could be said for most older bottles of Chateau Musar red from Lebanon - the age a treat and the ullage levels are no indication of quality.

Hmm, just thinking, isn't it difficult or almost impossible to tell the ullage level of a vintage port through the almost black glass?

Mahmoud.

PS: Nice notes on the port though- thanks.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:
Celia C wrote:I've learnt to never automatically write off a bottle of VP - I've tasted ones with levels down below the shoulder which have been fantastic! :)
The same thing could be said for most older bottles of Chateau Musar red from Lebanon - the age a treat and the ullage levels are no indication of quality.
I have some 1980 Rouge that is like that. Tastes fine, but levels vary.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Celia C

Post by Celia C »

Mahmoud Ali wrote: Hmm, just thinking, isn't it difficult or almost impossible to tell the ullage level of a vintage port through the almost black glass?

Mahmoud.

PS: Nice notes on the port though- thanks.
Thanks! The new led torches make it easy, as does the very bright light on the iPhone! :)