1980 Gould Campbell Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

1980 Gould Campbell Vintage Port

Post by David Spriggs »

From a 375ml bottle. Purchased from WineLibrary.com. Very dark color for a 1980. Some lightening at the rim, but still appears to be very youthful. The nose is very clean and inviting. Classic VP nose - some evolved black fruits and a touch of dusty wood. Pop and pour - oh... this is angry. I keep sipping, but this is still asleep. Next day: The wine hits the palate and just for an instant it appears to be medium bodied. Then it rapidly expands and fills the mouth with a gloriously thick and at the same time suave mid-palate. It is never heavy but it is intense. Really superb acidity keeps things lively and clean. I could just drink this entire bottle. Really classic black fruited VP. It's closer to Dow in style, but with maybe a bit more sweetness. It reminds me of 1985 Fonseca because it is so young, although it does lack the full on assault and youth of that wine. Superb VP! 94 points.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1980 Gould Campbell Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Had the 1983 at lunch today. Fantastic stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com