1968 Taylor's Quinta de Vargellas

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Celia C

1968 Taylor's Quinta de Vargellas

Post by Celia C »

This bottle was a freebie - thrown in with others that I'd bought because the fill was down to mid-shoulder. We removed the wax capsule to find that the cork had sunk in about 3/4". I managed to remove most of it in one piece, but the bottom quarter or so fell into the bottle.

On decanting, I was worried - it presented with a distinctly unpleasant nose - funky, earthy and quite stinky. I wondered whether it might be corked - I'm not very good at picking mild TCA. I was tempted to tip it down the sink, but figured that a 46 year old bottle (and the oldest port I've ever tried) deserved a fighting chance.

After eight hours in the decanter, it was fine - the funky aromas had disappeared, the palate was a little simple and the finish quite short, but it was pleasantly sweet and mellow. The colour had deepened over the breathing time to a dark browny-red. The neighbours came round for a taste (we never drink a bottle alone), and one commented that it reminded him of an old tawny. I have another bottle with a fill into the neck - quite optimistic about that one! 87 points
Bradley Bogdan

Re: 1968 Taylor's Quinta de Vargellas

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Port is one of the few wines that seems to survive unintentional oxidation in bottle very nicely as often as not. Glad this showed well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad