2011 Quinta do Vale Meao Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Todd Pettinger

2011 Quinta do Vale Meao Vintage Port

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Hey folks, It's been a while so forgive me as I shake off the rust... Was motivated to grab something from a local store in Seattle after running into Roy in all places, at the Seattle airport as he returned from an annual tasting in Edmonton. Unfortunately I was away and couldn't make that tasting so I missed him. I was flying in for business and had a packed schedule, but took a few minutes to say hi and realized it has been several years since my last visit. I won't lie, I'm somewhat ashamed by this.

Pop n pour 375mL while in a hotel room for a short night in Seattle.

Very fragrant nose upon first pour. Less-than-ideal conditions with a large red wine glass, but I suppose that beats the disposable plastic water glasses available in the room. Port showed well despite these conditions: smooth, rich, sweet cherry. Very opulent with very little alcohol on the nose and very little bite on the palate - perfect for me!
Dark, dark and dark... tongue staining after just the first two sips. Tannins show up dry in the finish leaving me with a dry mouth. This could indicate a bit of staying power with this youngster.

I'm a fan. Would definitely buy more of this to keep for a couple of decades in the cellar.

Hopefully I will find some more time to come back and visit more often. Until the next time... cheers! [cheers.gif]
Todd
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 2011 Quinta do Vale Meao Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Todd, welcome back. I hope all has been well. Do drop in from time to time as you're able to, would be good to hear from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 2011 Quinta do Vale Meao Vintage Port

Post by Roy Hersh »

Now that was a fun coincidence to be on the same flight and to see you at the airport, here.

I love this young wine and think it has a very bright future ahead of it. Fortunately you are still so young!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com