1980 Dow's Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Celia C

1980 Dow's Vintage Port

Post by Celia C »

I scored a case of these in pristine condition - fill levels all in the neck, no visible weeping of the corks. This was the first bottle we'd opened - I'd bought them purely because they were on Roy's Top 12 Vintage Ports list.

This port was astonishing - on opening, it was a youthful deep dark purple with no hint of fading. After ten hours breathing time, it was still massive and fruit driven - a delicious drink, but too huge to be called refined or elegant yet. We all felt we'd opened the bottle ten or twenty years too early. Palate of plums and berries with a hint of licorice. I've never had an old port present so youthfully! I'm looking forward to seeing how the other bottles develop. 93 points
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 1980 Dow's Vintage Port

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Celia,

Glad you had such a great showing of that Port. You must have impeccable storage conditions as I remember about the time you purchased those. It must have something to do with being down under, that these have stayed so upside down for all this time. [friends.gif]

Seriously, that 1980 Dow is just an awesome young VP that has a very long life ahead of it.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com