1970 Grahams Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

John M.

1970 Grahams Vintage Port

Post by John M. »

Ex-cellars, bottled in 1972. Cork came out nicely in one piece, mostly saturated. 9 hour decant.

Brick brown red, clear rim. Aromas of chai berry, spice, dark cherry and chocolate.The first sip brings forth cherry with hints of strawberry. Mid palate brings forth a lucious, strong sweet profile with the cherries again with a faint chocolatey leather, chai berry, and a hint of mint/grass and rhubarb with protracted finish that is long and sweet. I drank this over two days, the first it was a little more spirited but edgier with a great flavor profile; on day two it mellowed bit was slightly less interesting as the flavors were less distinct...but still great. This is simply a lovely port--have only one left--wish it were 12.

97 Points
Any Port in a storm!
Mahmoud Ali

Re: 1970 Grahams Vintage Port

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Thanks for the note John. A friend of mine is planning to serve it so it's a very timely note. I notice that despite the port being 44 years old you still gave it a 9 hour decant and that seemed to work. My friend's purchase is recent, right here in Edmonton, so it may not be as good as your bottle. I'm really looking forward to tasting it.

Mahmoud
John M.

Post by John M. »

The bottle I opened in the spring was 8 hours of decant time and was just great....probably could go shorter.
Any Port in a storm!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Coincidentally, I was talking 1970 Vintage Ports with a friend from the mid-section of the USA today. He was asking advice on adding to his collection and this was the Port I recommended as very user friendly and very consistent. He already owned the Fonseca and Taylor and unfortunately it is next to impossible to find the Niepoort which is fabulous but like a ghost.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

1970 Grahams is probably the easiest '70 vintage to find; Croft being 2nd.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

EWR sent me an e-mail over the past week with 1970 Smith Woodhouse. But there aren't too many TNs around here on that one.