1977 Quarles Harris Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

1977 Quarles Harris Vintage Port

Post by Glenn E. »

Purchased from WTSO.com and opened for Thanksgiving dinner along with a 1994 and a 2011. Not decanted, but it had a couple of days in the bottle after opening over which it was re-tasted several times.

1977 Quarles Harris VP

Color: Pretty thin appearance, though not what I'd call tawny. About that level of opacity but "old VP" color rather than tawny color. Perhaps medium ruby? Sandy sediment.

Nose: Considerable spirit when opened, but it wasn't off-putting. Soft and gentle "Port" aroma underneath the spirit, with mellow strawberries and faint Christmas spices. The spirit faded over 3-4 days leaving behind a very nice mature Port.

Palate: On day 1, lots of heat from the spirit; also a peppery note. Both slowly receded over 3 days, allowing the fruits to show better, but never fully vanished. Mature red fruits including strawberry, very ripe red raspberry, and red currant. Christmas spices from the nose lose the allspice/clove and orange, but retain the cinnamon in the mouth. After 2-3 days in the bottle, it takes on a plummy note that gives it considerably more depth.

Finish: Good length, but not spectacular. Warm and pleasant.

Score: 87 points. I started out lower due to the heat/spirit, but after a couple of days it had improved significantly. I would recommend a longer decant than what you'd probably normally give a mature Port - 6-8 hours at least. It's hard to judge since I didn't actually decant this bottle so it only got air in the bottle as we pour glasses out. But it definitely needs time to let the alcohol blow off and integrate, after which it is thoroughly pleasant.
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Re: 1977 Quarles Harris Vintage Port

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Not sounding like this was screaming QPR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

If you give it time to settle down it's quite nice, but yeah there are better Ports to be found for $60. Even so, I'm glad I picked up the 4 that I did from WTSO just to have something that's already clearly mature but still in a good place.
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I would love to hear your thoughts on the Niepoort 77 along side this, when you get around to opening one. I haven't gotten around to posting my note (from something like a month ago :-/) but it seemed to follow a similar trajectory, but perhaps with a better endpoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Hmm... I'd forgotten about those Niepoorts! Maybe I'll schedule one for the holidays. :-)
Glenn Elliott