1985 Fonseca vintage port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Rune EG

1985 Fonseca vintage port

Post by Rune EG »

I have had several nice bottles of 1985 Fonseca in range 90 - 94 pts, but never up to the level that other FTLOP-members are experiencing. However, this time the score was 96 pts which is very high in my book.
Cork was soaking wet, but I could not detect any leakage. Some sediments. Decanted 8 hrs. Deep dark red colour with a purple rim. Sweetish deep aroma of red berries including cherries and strawberries. Full body. Elegant throughout the taste. Full of sweetish berries influencing the taste. Nice strong tannins towards the end. Well-structured and well balanced. Wonderful vintage port. When the bottle reached 12 hrs decanting time it started to go down, so for this bottle the best drinking window was 8 – 12 hrs. 96 pts.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1985 Fonseca vintage port

Post by Andy Velebil »

What is not to love about this beauty [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I recently picked up a case of this from the most epic cellar where every wine no matter what it was, was a home run. Tried some other ports from this cellar, but I am holding off on the Fonseca for as long as I can. I am afraid it may still be too young!
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Rune,

Glad you finally had a bottle of the F85 show you the love the rest of us have found with this particular Port! :thumbsup:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com