1963 Graham Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

1963 Graham Vintage Port

Post by Glenn E. »

Corney & Barrow bottling. Purchased in late 2013 from Acker along with a dozen other old bottles of Graham's Port. Opens to take to the Herbfarm for Lisa Stevens' birthday dinner on Jan 23, 2015. Decanted at 1:00 pm, re-stoppered at 5:00 pm, tasted at about 9:30 pm.

1963 Graham VP

Color: Either a dark ruby or medium garnet.. Hard to tell in restaurant lighting. Clear and gem-like with just a small amount of sediment.

Nose: rich ripe strawberry, sweet red currant, confectioner's sugar, and some high-toned spirit.

Palate: rich, sweet, full, and softly fruity. Very ripe raspberries and ripe strawberries. There are still some purple fruits in this, which is amazing in a 50+ year old Port! I even get some black currant. Tannins are still present though trending toward light at this point. Acidity is great. I don't think this is done improving, but can't really guess when it would be done. I suppose another 5-10 years? Remarkable given its age. Remarkable at any age.

Finish: Long and pleasant. Warm and comforting. Echoes of the palate fruit, then apples and pears. Easily lasts a minute or more.

Score: 96 points. I'm very happy to have 2 more bottles from the same purchase. This is a true special occasion Port. Yet on this night it was only second best due to the presence of a Quinta do Mourao 60-yr old Tawny.
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Re: 1963 Graham Vintage Port

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

A truly wonderful wine, both Alyson and I really appreciate you sharing this with us! I do agree, a small shame it was so over shadowed though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Been drinking G63 a lot over the last year; holding up quite well (dismissing any suggestion this vintage is fading) and greatness of the vintage is evident in the bottles. Would you rather have '63 Dow or '63 Grahams? I can't ever decide which one I like better... Been leaning towards the Dow...
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Well I'm a bit of a Graham fanboy, so I'd rather have the Graham. I'd probably slip the Fonseca in before the Dow, too, as it's also sublime.
Glenn Elliott