1999 Woodbridge Portacinco

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

dave berg

1999 Woodbridge Portacinco

Post by dave berg »

I was very excited to find the 1999 Portacinco at the Grocery Outlet in Bonney Lake Wa., for about $10, especially after being (un)lucky enough to buy (only) one bottle of the 1997 in 2013. I might say everything I tasted from this bottle (the 1999) for the first day, or at least the first several hours was a bit of a waste. The sweetness is predominant. After a day, an astringency comes out, probably tannins, maybe acid, that makes the balance very nice. The nose of this wine to me is unremarkable, both in the bottle and glass. It has a bit of a Duco cement smell--must be from the alcohol, and I don't dislike it at all--kind of like the La'Espanogla olive oil at Winco that has a bit of a paint thinner aroma, but I still rate it as the best grocery store olive oil. But the nose of he Portacinco gives you no idea what you're in for--sumptuous flavors of dark fruit--I'd say dark cherry, blackberry, a little peach maybe, and slight anise or licorice. And the word for this port is sumptuous. It's unlike any other port I've tasted (although I haven't tasted ports decades or centuries old.) It's not fruity in the usual kind of bland sense of some low priced ports. Dense, heavy flavors, and every glass exciting. If you can find a bottle of this you must try it. I'd find other comments most interesting.
Mahmoud Ali

Re: 1999 Woodbridge Portacinco

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

It has been ages since I've.had the Woodbridge Portacino, so long that I had forgotten that it was a vintage bottle. Has it always been a vintage bottling? Anyway, all I recall is that it was a decent enough and with considerable depth.

Mahmoud.
dave berg

Re: 1999 Woodbridge Portacinco

Post by dave berg »

I did some research on line, and the vintages ran from the 90's on, and then I read the 5 acre or so experiment with the 5 Portuguese grapes had ended, but, I don't remember just when. So, any you'll find is a treasure, as there will be no more (if what I read is true.) They were all listed by year.