1977 Croft's Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Celia C

1977 Croft's Vintage Port

Post by Celia C »

I really wanted to like this port, as there are a couple more bottles of it under the house. It's in perfectly fine condition, the cork came out in one piece, nothing wrong with it whatsoever. It's just...boring. It lacks the clarity of some of the truly great VPS (like the 1970 Niepoort I had recently) and the colour, while still reddish in the decanter, is quite tawny in the glass. Nose and palate are pleasant but I'm not blown away, I think it's tasting a bit woody and Muscat like. If you're a tawny fan, you might rate this higher. My son quite liked it. 85 points
Moses Botbol

Re: 1977 Croft's Vintage Port

Post by Moses Botbol »

It is a bit of disappointment considering how vaulted the '77 vintage is supposed to be; Croft was on a downward trend at that point. Comparing to '70 Niepoort was a laugh... Only a handful of ports can compete with that. I don't consider '77 to be so fantastic a vintage.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Celia C

Post by Celia C »

Moses Botbol wrote:It is a bit of disappointment considering how vaulted the '77 vintage is supposed to be; Croft was on a downward trend at that point. Comparing to '70 Niepoort was a laugh... Only a handful of ports can compete with that. I don't consider '77 to be so fantastic a vintage.
Yes, it wasn't really fair to drink the Crofts so soon after the Niepoort! The few 1970s I've had have all been glorious, and the 1970 Grahams remains my greatest port memory. But the 1977 Taylors is right up there as well! I've tried a lot of 77s recently and most have been delicious drinking now, but I do think they're at their peak and probably won't go much longer. That's not a problem obviously, I'll just drink them. :)
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:I don't consider '77 to be so fantastic a vintage.
I consider it a fantastic vintage that just has problems with corks, TCA, and bottle variation. :(
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:I don't consider '77 to be so fantastic a vintage.
I consider it a fantastic vintage that just has problems with corks, TCA, and bottle variation. :(
Those are the reasons why I don't consider it a fantastic vintage; not the weather and harvest of that year.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars