1985 Gould Campbell Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

1985 Gould Campbell Vintage Port

Post by John Danza »

• 1985 Gould Campbell Porto Vintage - Portugal, Douro, Porto (2/19/2015)
    Decanted six hours before service. This bottle was much more advanced than I expected from this wine. Light-to-medium brink red. The nose is showing cherries, as is the palate. Very little alcohol heat. The wine is medium sweet with a bit of a dry finish (not as much as typical Dow). This bottle was definitely fully mature. I have seven others and if the next one is like this, they should be drunk in the next 5 years. (88 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
John Danza
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1985 Gould Campbell Vintage Port

Post by David Spriggs »

This is a very similar note to the bottle we had at the 1985 Vintage Port tasting in Seattle last month. This is completely different from the bottle that I had a month ago from my friend's cellar - purchased recently from WTSO. It seems like there are two types of bottles. Storage issues?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

David Spriggs wrote:This is a very similar note to the bottle we had at the 1985 Vintage Port tasting in Seattle last month. This is completely different from the bottle that I had a month ago from my friend's cellar - purchased recently from WTSO. It seems like there are two types of bottles. Storage issues?
+1

I've had really good and youthful bottles of this and also similar to this one now. I suspect some were not well stored, or stored in a warmer environment, compared to the better showing bottles.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

+2 ... when this is good, it is very good indeed and extremely youthful and bright.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

Post by John Danza »

I can't recall what the other bottles from this case were like, and I guess I didn't record any tasting notes. I'll open another bottle soon to see if it's any different. There wasn't any storage issues noticeable from the condition of the cork, but that's never reliable anyway.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

John Danza wrote:I can't recall what the other bottles from this case were like, and I guess I didn't record any tasting notes. I'll open another bottle soon to see if it's any different. There wasn't any storage issues noticeable from the condition of the cork, but that's never reliable anyway.
And this was at the tale end of the "dark period" for Port. So possible there were two different batches of corks used and one batch wasn't as good as the other. All speculation of course, just tossing out other possible issue other than storage.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
cliburn
Location: Minnetonka, Minnesota, United States of America - USA

Post by cliburn »

This back up on WTSO right now.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Already had some but bought 2 more anyway, figure it's not going to go down in price.