NV Porto Rocha 150th Anniversary Tawny Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

NV Porto Rocha 150th Anniversary Tawny Port

Post by Glenn E. »

Porto Rocha 150th Anniversary Tawny Port
Believed to be one of the rare and elusive 1st bottlings, which were accidentally made with a dramatically higher percentage of 19th century Port in the blend.

Color: Medium dark tawny brown, very clear in the glass.

Nose: Brown sugar, meyer lemon, leather, very intense, toffeeized caramel, irish cream, faint butter.

Palate: Dark roast coffee, deep dark raisin, some toffee. The finish has an amazingly long caramel note, and lasts 10+ minutes. There's definitely something very old in this bottle.

Score: 94 points. I can't say for sure either way whether or not this was actually a 1st bottling, but it was outstanding. It clearly out-shone the Three Centuries, but couldn't keep pace with the S. Leonardo 40-yr old.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Re: NV Porto Rocha 150th Anniversary Tawny Port

Post by Eric Menchen »

So I don't suppose there is any way to tell apart the bottlings other than possibly by the selo, is there?
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote:So I don't suppose there is any way to tell apart the bottlings other than possibly by the selo, is there?
Even that won't help, as it's all technically the same Port so they very likely used the same batch of selos on the bottles. I suppose it's possible that they kept track of which numbers were used earlier, but somehow I doubt it.

So no, there's really no way to tell them apart other than when they were received by the importer/distributor.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

A wonderful Port, and one I've had many times over the years. It is starting to lose some of its freshness it had early on. So if you like the fresh acidity driven style start drinking up, if you don't mind a bit more softer rounded tawny then no real hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com