1997 Quinta do Vesuvio vintage port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Rune EG

1997 Quinta do Vesuvio vintage port

Post by Rune EG »

A case of six bottles purchased en primeur from Berry Bros in 1998. Picked up by myself from BBRs shop at Heathrow in 2000 and brought onboard a plane back home. Since then stored in my wine cellar untouched for the last 15 years. Therefore I have had reasonable control of the bottles most of it’s “life”. Only exception is transport Portugal/London and internally in BBR. Reason for giving this background is that this bottle was a disappointment. I have noticed it is a long time since Roy and members have posted tasting notes (except Al B giving 86 pts November 2013). What is happening here? Just a bad bottle, or is it falling apart?

Decanted 9 hrs. Cork broke during opening and had to use Durand. Relatively dark red colour with a touch of brown. Aroma with overtones of medicinal. Full body. Taste was smooth, quite elegant at start, then more and more medicinal, rough not so nice tannins. Too much acidity. Medium length aftertaste. 84 pts.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1997 Quinta do Vesuvio vintage port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Maybe a closed phase?? I know some 1994's are just coming out so maybe the 1997's are now in that phase. Though it is a vintage that doesn't seem to get much love in recent years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1997 Quinta do Vesuvio vintage port

Post by David Spriggs »

This is one of my least favorite Vesuvio. It has always seemed a bit closed and the tannins rough. Just not enjoyable. I have a few, but I don't plan to open them for a very long time. But 84 points is a very poor showing!