2011 Fonseca Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Christopher B.

2011 Fonseca Vintage Port

Post by Christopher B. »

I rarely taste port and am more of a table wine drinker, so please bear with me...

I thought it would be interesting to open both a Graham's 2011 Vintage Port and a Fonseca 2011 Vintage Port at the same time before they both close down (should they close down) and this is my wine tasting note (including the French version which I always write first).

From a half-bottle, decanted and tasted immediately and over 8 hours. Nice garnet/rubis hued black colour. Pleasant bouquet of prunes, even plum jam, brown sugar, caramel and liquorice. Very different aromas from Graham’s, though the intensity and concentration is similar. Nice attack on the palate with the same aromas as on the nose, but unlike Graham’s, you can really notice the drying tannin at this stage. Same wonderful length as Graham’s but unlike the fruity finish of Graham’s, Fonseca finishes on tannin. The alcohol is perceptible unlike with the Graham’s. It is funny as the aromas make me thing of an older wine, but on the palate, it is more closed than the Graham’s and the tannin is clearly visible. After a while, cacao aromas appear. Also some floral/herbal elements. Seems heavy and somewhat muddled. 92

After 48 hours, has picked up somewhat, but still way less expressive than the Graham’s. Closed down, probably. I wouldn’t recommend drinking it at this stage. 93

Ouverture d’une demie-bouteille décanté et goûté de suite. Belle robe rubis/carmin/noir. Beau bouquet plus sur la prune, voire la prune en confiture,la cassonade, le caramel et la réglisse. La différence des arômes avec le Graham’s est plutôt marquante, mais l’intensité est la même. Belle attaque en bouche avec la continuation du nez, mais au contraire de Graham’s, on y perçoit beaucoup de tannins asséchants. Tout aussi long que Graham’s, mais plus sur le tannin à ce stade. L’alcool est plus apparent que sur le Graham. C’est drôle que les arômes me font plus penser à un vin mûr, alors qu’il est en parallèle, plus fermé que G et les tannins sont nettement plus visible. Après un certain temps, le chocolat apparait aussi au niveau des arômes. Floral aussi. Semble lourd et un peu imprécis. 92

Après 48 heures, s’est élevé un peu, mais demeure de loin moins expressif et aérien que le Graham’s. Je ne puis recommander de le boire à ce stade. 93

As you can tell from the score and the note, I preferred the Graham's by quite a measure. Perhaps it is more my style, or perhaps Fonseca has closed down, or perhaps I find the brightness and complexity of the aromas more interesting as it is what I look for in table wine. Regardless, the Fonseca was very good, just not at the same level today as the Graham's.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 2011 Fonseca Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Excellent note. Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Agree, your time-elapsed tasting notes is brilliant and appreciated. Love this Port.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Christopher B.

Post by Christopher B. »

Thank you! I really enjoyed tasting the two ports like this.