1970 Croft Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

1970 Croft Vintage Port

Post by Glenn E. »

I snagged 8 bottles of this at auction from winebid.com. Got them for $85 each. Factor in buyer's premium and shipping and the total was a little over $105/bottle, which I still consider a great deal for a 1970 VP. I've been wanting to try one to verify their quality, so I opened one to share with Lindsay after we tasted some bourbons. 4.5 hour decant by the time we got to it, which is what I was aiming for. Seems like 6-8 would have been fine based on how well it has held up on day 2 and day 3. It has been in a covered decanter on the kitchen counter since first tasted.

1970 Croft VP
4.5 hour decant

Color: Medium red and garnet, still a few hints of purple left. Slight yellowing at the rim, but mostly pink/clear.

Nose: Black cherry, plum, prune, some milk chocolate. Possibly some very faint blueberry as well.

Palate: Full entry, smooth and rich. Tannins are pretty faint which leaves the texture almost too supple. Acidity is just adequate and only comes on late. Sweet, honey-like note. No alcohol is evident, but that may be a side effect of the bourbons tasted earlier. (Day 2 and Day 3 the alcohol is there, but well integrated.) Very round and rich fruits, mostly cherry and plum with a hint of something red - possibly very ripe strawberry or very ripe raspberry.

Finish: Good length. Not especially notable, just mellow, clean, and fairly sweet. (Day 2 and Day 3 some small amount of warmth is present on the finish.)

Score: 92 points. It isn't up to the level of a Taylor or Fonseca, but this is an excellent Port that is likely at its plateau and will drink nicely over the next 5+ years, possibly 10.
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Re: 1970 Croft Vintage Port

Post by Moses Botbol »

We were buying those at a restaurant for $50 last summer...
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

That's a great restaurant! You'd never see a price like that out here. You get all kinds of crazy deals in MA. Too bad the rest of us can't buy there and have it shipped!
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Glenn E. wrote:That's a great restaurant! You'd never see a price like that out here. You get all kinds of crazy deals in MA. Too bad the rest of us can't buy there and have it shipped!
I expect to have some this summer there again! You'll have to come to Boston for dinner... I have four 70 Croft magnums and maybe 7-8 750's...
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

Thaks for this TN, especially for the price information. I bought my old Partners (sandeman) Ruby from the same auction. There is lots of port from an inherited passive cellar that is in pretty good shape--go for 'em if you like the prices. One I'd like to see someone buy and post on is the '78-bottled Taylor Crusted Porto.