1995 Warres Quinta da Cavadinha

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

John M.

1995 Warres Quinta da Cavadinha

Post by John M. »

Popped and poured (unexpected company), the cork was in good shape and came out cleanly with a Durand. The color is red fading to light brown and the immediate nose was bountiful with a sweet leather and sweet raisin aroma. Clarity is average, the initial taste was mostly raisins (not bad but not good either--just too much) and a little bitter finish. After some time in the glass this opened up and added strawberry and a leather and chocolate quality--yet still the raisin tone; the bitterness faded away.

Overall, I was not too impressed, yet perhaps this deserves a "Mulligan" with the pop and pour scenario and it clearly was getting better as time went on. I have about 1/2 of the bottle left and will report back....but for now 86 pts.

30 Hours: This is far better now. The raisin flavor is there but not as dominant; the nose remians bountiful with hints of strawberry and fig jam. The flavors remain the same, just in different ratios (and an improvement) yet I find this Port rather simple--tastes more like an LBV than a VP. The finish is moderate. 88 Points.

54 Hours: Its going flat now; peaked.

88 Points
Last edited by John M. on Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Warres Quinta de Cavadinha

Post by Andy Velebil »

John,
What year was this?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Re: 1995 Warres Quinta de Cavadinha

Post by John M. »

1995---edited post
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1995 Warres Quinta da Cavadinha

Post by Andy Velebil »

I tend to be mixed on this particular SQVP. There is a lot of vintage variation with some doing ok in the longer term but most seem to mature at a much faster rate than Malvedos and even Bomfim.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Andy Velebil wrote:I tend to be mixed on this particular SQVP. There is a lot of vintage variation with some doing ok in the longer term but most seem to mature at a much faster rate than Malvedos and even Bomfim.
Have only had a couple vintages of this SQVP, and only the '92 multiple times, but can say that they haven't left me super impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

John M.

Post by John M. »

Me too, have had several Cavadinhas and at best OK to low side of average. That being said I split a 6 pack with someone (I took 4) yet paid about $35/bottle all in with allegedly good provenance and bottles look perfect.
Any Port in a storm!
John M.

Post by John M. »

I updated my original post
Any Port in a storm!