NV Sandeman Finest Rich Ruby Port -- (estimated 1970s and prior)

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

John Trombley

NV Sandeman Finest Rich Ruby Port -- (estimated 1970s and prior)

Post by John Trombley »

NV Sandeman Porto Finest Rich Ruby (estimated 1970s and prior) - Portugal, Douro, Porto (4/8/2015)
This wine was probably bottled 1950s-1970s, by appearance. It has US volume figures. 20 pabv. $45/4/5th of a quart, plus 15 percent buyer's premium. WineBid (bottles still up for bid as of today). Imported by WA Taylor, Washington, DC.

T-corked; top snapped off when I attempted to remove it; removed the bottom stub of cork with a Durand corkpuller.

Very, very tawny in color, and translucent; quite bitty. Quite slow tears.

Nicely fresh and stony, with usual caramel and maple scents, with a touch of lacquer, richly nutty. Good fresh nose.

Somewhat drier than a young ruby; little or no heat; good acid balance, very fine tannin. Nice length.

91/100. Drink now or over the next few years. Westminster 'Royal Addition' English Cheddar does well with this, as does Membrillo (quince paste) with the same cheese.

I'd probably allow this to settle more next time on its side both for the bittiness and the dry cork. (91 pts.)

I remember my ex-brother in law Bob King ordering me a glass of Sandeman ruby or tawny port at London Chop House in Detroit circa 1979. This reminds me very much of that port, which was my first fall-in-love exposure to this fantastic type of wine. I think I got my nose in a Beerenauslese first a couple weeks before or probably Port would be the passion for me now that German wine is. It's no far behind! Also at that Chop House meal was poured: 1964 Petrus, for a remembered cost of $50. I owe much to Bob: Two classed-growth Bordeaux, Leoville-las Cazes and Beycheville, the above mentioned Petrus, and my first sip of Mersault Clos de la Barre; a bottle of 1966 Fonseca, and a vintage, not remembered now, of Cheval Blanc. Still remember these wines after all this time, as well as a few of mine that I opened for him.

Posted from CellarTracker
Last edited by John Trombley on Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: NV Sandeman Porto Finest Rich Ruby (estimated 1970s and prior)

Post by Andy Velebil »

Very cool! thanks for the pic as well!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

additional note at 48 hours. Nose continues with attractive freshness and everything is still in balance. It's not going to lose that sediment, nearly cloudy at at this time, losing it a point for what is essentially appearance. Tthe baked fruit and herb notes come out now as primary fruit backs off. Very good sève and length, with a hint of thyme and mint on the finish, from which now there shows a bit of alcohol. Quite a nice drink for 40 bucks plus 15 percent,

Tasted with music: 60th anniversary founding of the Federal, Republic of Germany Brandenberger Tor 2000. 'Freude, nach diese Tone' (Beethoven 9th),, 'Wishin' Well' (Procol harum), Smoke on the Water, Fidelio overture Op 72, Elton John, Mona Lisa and Mad Hatters). All went beautifully with this wine.

Drink now. 90-91
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

My pleasure, Andy. By the way, have you ever had the 1978 bottling ofTayor Crusted, or know someone who has?

John
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

John Trombley wrote:My pleasure, Andy. By the way, have you ever had the 1978 bottling ofTayor Crusted, or know someone who has?

John
No, I don't. I've seen those listed but at that price I'm in no way going to risk buying what is most likely either corked* or not exactly stellar, though it may be pleasant.

*making fun of the issues around that time period
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

I haven't tasted any of the Taylor Crusteds, only Dow and Graham. I haven't been really blown away by any at the price-point and would really rather spend the same money on a smart SQVP or a traditional LB or a half od a young colheita. Don't know whether they are really putting the best blends in these ports. Doing them well would take as much committment and skill as any good port, I'm sure. What's your take?

To be fair to this consignor, the two I bought from him and those that others had picked up have been in pretty good shape. I might bite on the Taylor if it were about half the price. It's just too steep for the risk, I agree with you 105%.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

No idea on the blends back then. One can assume at that point in time they were really focusing on their relatively new LBV that had hit the market some years prior and was gaining traction.