1985 Hoopers Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Bradley Bogdan

1985 Hoopers Vintage Port

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Decanted 3 Hours

Color is appropriately deep but with some substantial bricking. What you'd expect a mid tier port of '85 to be color wise.

Nose is red citrus and pine, almost what you'd expect of sticking your face in a Christmas wreath with cranberries and blood oranges for decoration.

Palate is full citrus, with blood orange and strawberry, with lively acidity and some measure of minty pine at the end, which I think Roy very accurately tags as aged spirit. In this case, considering my dislike of heat, I'm surprised to find this well balanced in the alcohol sector. There is a small amount of warmth, but it's smoothly integrated and, along with the mostly resolved tannin, makes for a fresh and smooth mouthfeel.

While this is a fully enjoyable port, I struggle to score it higher due to the parts I love about it are not why I usually look to a VP. The Madeira level of acidity and the lack of berry fruit leave me with much the same dilemma that VPs that have turned to yummy Tawnies in bottle do. It tastes good, but not for VP reasons.

87 pts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Moses Botbol

Re: 1985 Hoopers Vintage Port

Post by Moses Botbol »

Sounds like VA showing on through. Not regarded as one of the best bottles of the vintage. 1985 Hoopers, "insert joke here". Been many years since I last tried it. I have one or two bottles left.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars