1987 Fonseca Quinta do Panascal vintage port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Rune EG

1987 Fonseca Quinta do Panascal vintage port

Post by Rune EG »

My wife Emmy and I drove around in Douro privately October 2001, and visited amongst others Panascal. Purchased three bottles of their 1987 vintage port. 1st btl consumed Dec 03 (16 yrs), 2nd btl consumed Dec 09 (22 yrs) and third May 15 (28 yrs).

Tasting note is from the last bottle. Decanted 7 hrs. Cork very dry upper 2/3, while lower 1/3 was very wet. In spite of using the Durand, the wet part broke off. Some sediments. Medium dark red with brown being visible. Sweet aroma full of both candy sugar, spices and old cellar. Full body. Powerful taste dominated by raisins, figs, strong (but acceptable) tannins, some spirit was there. Taste very similar to aroma, rather on the sweet side. Medium length aftertaste. 89 pts.
Bradley Bogdan

Re: 1987 Fonseca Quinta do Panascal vintage port

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Do you find this pretty representative of the quality of the year, Rune? I know many here think highly of it, though I have very very limited experience with it personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Rune EG

Re: 1987 Fonseca Quinta do Panascal vintage port

Post by Rune EG »

I have been in the group that liked 1987 vintage ports a lot, but I am not so keen anymore.
As i prefer the vintage ports to show the darker red colour and to drink them before they turn into tawny style, there should (in my opinion) be more consuming than cellaring of the 1987 VPs.