2008 Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

2008 Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

As mentioned in my post-sick and drinking thread, now that I am on the mend it was time for an emergency decant and Port consumption to make up for lost time. Only decanted 2 hours, so take this one with a grain of salt to some extent. I immediately noticed how light the tannins were on this and the fruit, black currants, were very tasty but monolithic and it lacked complexity. There was some mint on the palate as well. A medium finish with some unbalanced spirit, in combination with the palate, was more reminiscent of an LBV than a SQVP. I have no idea if this is in a closed up phase at the moment, which is causing its simple showing, or not so I will reserve final judgement. Hence my score is a range and may or may not change in the future depending on where this goes with more cellar time. As you will see it's a bug departure for this bottle than previous ones I've had as well as others.
86-88(+??) Points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com