1997 Niepoort Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

1997 Niepoort Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

from a 375m. This wasn't so much different than others I've posted about from this case. However thankfully this one had far less VA showing which allowed more of the fruit to shine...and the tannins, acid, and other things that make this a wonderful bottle when not tainted by VA.
91 points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1997 Niepoort Vintage Port

Post by David Spriggs »

Great to hear that your bottle was good!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Woo hoo, finally. I can't wait until you have another one that is shows NO signs of any flaw. [beg.gif]

Love to see what you'd score a near-perfect bottle. [friends.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I wish but so far almost all have been flawed in some way. One of these days I hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ivan Madsen

Post by Ivan Madsen »

I have had the Niepoort VT 1997 several times including one bottle this week. Unfortunately this bottle had the same fault as the others - it smelled and tasted like "glue" at the party at this years Confraria in June in Porto we had 17-19 VT 1997 - including the Niepoort- and at that time it was Perfect My conclusion is - it's a high risk bottle - but when it's good it's REALLY good

Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

True. Sadly In my experience most are not up to par.

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I have 5 in my cellar... we're going out to dinner tonight at a restaurant that doesn't charge corkage on your first bottle (Lot No. 3 in Bellevue, same restaurant group as The Purple Cafe that we frequent regularly), so I'll pull one and see how it goes. It won't get much of a decant, but that might be a good thing. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Opened one last night and it was very nice. Cork was pushed out about 1/4" but hadn't broken the capsule and there were no signs of leakage.

The concensus at the table (and the waiter, with whom we shared a glass) was slight to moderate VA, but not enough to detract from the deliciousness of the Port. 1997 Niepoort really is a fabulous Port if you get a good bottle... it's a shame so many of them have VA levels that bother people.

I'll try to get a separate TN up later.
Glenn Elliott