1995 Dow's Quinta do Bomfim Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

1995 Dow's Quinta do Bomfim Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Decanted about 4 hours. The color is starting to show some bricking, which is pretty similar to most other Ports from this vintage I've had. There is some noticeable excessive match stick aromas on the nose, though some did blow off with decanting. The palate is a nice mix that still retains some red fruit and some secondary characteristics; licorice, menthol, anise. The tannins are mostly resolved, though a touch still remain. The prominent acidity on this is keeps it fresh and balances out the semi-sweet palate. The moderately long finish however is much drier than the palate and carries through from the palate. There is some out of balance heat on the finish. Overall, I'd say this is in a good place to start drinking up over the next 4-7 years. While it will age longer, at 20 years old I don't really see it getting any better from here as is the case with many SQVP's from off-years. So I wouldn't wait too long.
89 Points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Re: 1995 Dow's Quinta do Bomfim Vintage Port

Post by Moses Botbol »

Decanted about 4-5 hours. Initial pop and pour was utterly smooth and refined. Boysenberry with smooth heat and a very long finish; very fresh. High quality port that is still young, but like 1994 this port is a joy to drink now and will be for some time (albeit not as long as 1994). Color was dark with very little sediment. Was totally digging this port and reminded me again that Dow is making some of the finest Vintage Port for the last 20 or so years. 94 points.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars