1995 Smith Woodhouse Madalena Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Edward J

1995 Smith Woodhouse Madalena Vintage Port

Post by Edward J »

A wine bid lot. Upon decanting, the sludge had a very pleasant grape jelly smell and the color was dark garnet and opaque. After a 6 hour decant I could pick up a bit of leather and lots of fruit on the nose. There was a lot going on with the fruit very forward at first, a medium body weight and lots of spirit. The finish fell a bit short and hot. Not bad but not completely integrated. I vacuum sealed the remainder for the next night. After a day it had picked up some weight and the fruit had given way to a eucalyptus menthol flavor bordering on cherry cough syrup at times. I put three glasses out, the Smith-Woodhouse, a 1995 Krohn Colheita, and the corked 1994 Quinta Do Crasto LBVP. 5 of 6 easily picked the corked wine. 3 of 4 picked the Madalena over the Krohn. I have another bottle and I'm thinking this might be still maturing, so away it goes for 5-10 years. 90pts.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1995 Smith-Woodhouse Madalena

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've not had this is a long time and considering I own some your note is appreciated. I'll let them sleep longer before opening one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com