2013 Quinta do Noval Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

2013 Quinta do Noval Vintage Port

Post by Eric Menchen »

Spicier aroma than the 2012 VP, with menthol eucalyptus and pine resin; and pine needle, not dried on the forest floor, but slightly dried on the branch. Then there are some aromas of fruit, peach and nectarine, and a hint of tree bark. In the mouth, there are lots of tannins with fresh fruit, more of that peach that showed up in the aroma. There are red fruits too-strawberry. Roy says grenadine, and I don't disagree. Next is a taste of sweet frozen concentrated orange juice, and tangerine too, with some real tartness-cranberry. Drinkable now, 92 points, with great potential.
Thomas V

Re: 2013 Quinta do Noval Vintage Port

Post by Thomas V »

So you would recommend picking up a bottle or two now and stash them for later?

What do your reckon is the potential for this vintage? Also in regard to QPR?
Eric Menchen

Re: 2013 Quinta do Noval Vintage Port

Post by Eric Menchen »

I liked this more than the 2012 and said it has great potential, so if you find it for a reasonable price, it is probably worth buying. I don't really know if that potential is 20 years or 50, but I'll posit at least 20. Maybe Roy can chime int. Of course I didn't compare it the 2011 which I haven't tasted, but I suspect is better and will last many more years. I paid $75 for 2011. I suppose I might pick up this for $60 or less. Will I find it for that? Quite possibly as I have a local store that regularly stocks Quinta do Noval, and the off years tend to go for less. I don't know about pricing and availability in your neck of the woods, or how much you need to stock your cellar.