NV Presidential 20 year tawny port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Rune EG

NV Presidential 20 year tawny port

Post by Rune EG »

Apparently exactly the same product as Dalva, just another label.

Bottled 2014. Decanted 3 hrs. Brownred colour. Aroma of nuts, oak and some alcohol. Decanting time possibly too long as the caramel we could detect after 1-2 hrs had disappeared after 3 hrs. Full body. Quite smooth, but the taste is unfortunately too much influenced by alcohol. Otherwise taste of wood, some citrus. Bitter tannins with the dry bitterness especially towards the end. Long aftertaste. 86 pts.
Thomas V

Re: NV Presidential 20 year tawny port

Post by Thomas V »

I have a suspicion that you bought these bottles from Torben Mandrup @ Drikportvin as I read previously that you most often buy your port in Denmark.

Interesting that you think that the Dalva and Presidential is the same just with different labels.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Despite being attractively priced here in the States, not a favorite of mine either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

Yes Thomas, I did buy this bottle from Torben Mandrup/Drik Portvin.
Purchased quite a few of his Presidential selection, and this was the "youngest".
I will be posting more tasting notes as the various types have been tasted / consumed.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Rune EG wrote:Yes Thomas, I did buy this bottle from Torben Mandrup/Drik Portvin.
Purchased quite a few of his Presidential selection, and this was the "youngest".
I will be posting more tasting notes as the various types have been tasted / consumed.
Sounds great Rune.

Did you happen to buy any Bulas, DR or Vieira de Sousa? Would love to hear how they are showing,as I have been thinking about paying Torben a visit in the upcoming year.
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

Yes, I have purchased all three of them.
At the moment my favourites are Bulas (especially their 20 yrs tawny) and DR
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Rune EG wrote:Yes, I have purchased all three of them.
At the moment my favourites are Bulas (especially their 20 yrs tawny) and DR
Did you try any of their VT's yet?

I am really looking forward to tasting Bulas
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas V wrote:.....

Interesting that you think that the Dalva and Presidential is the same just with different labels.
Thomas,
Presidential is the USA (and I guess Denmark too) label for Dalva. I have been told by representatives of the company they are exactly the same wines just under different labels for different countries. Why they do that I have no idea.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Presidential is the USA (and I guess Denmark too) label for Dalva. I have been told by representatives of the company they are exactly the same wines just under different labels for different countries. Why they do that I have no idea.
That is a bit of a head scratcher as I have found suppliers in Denmark that sell Presidential (Where Rune bought his bottles) and others that sell Dalva. Seems strange that a company would allow both brands to be imported into the same country and then distributed. At least it is confusing for the consumer, especially that the distributors have different listing prices for the same bottle under the 2 different labels.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas V wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
That is a bit of a head scratcher as I have found suppliers in Denmark that sell Presidential (Where Rune bought his bottles) and others that sell Dalva. Seems strange that a company would allow both brands to be imported into the same country and then distributed. At least it is confusing for the consumer, especially that the distributors have different listing prices for the same bottle under the 2 different labels.
I agree it's weird. Presidential here is usually priced cheaper than others in the same category. Of course, its always possible they are phasing one label out and bringing the new one in slowly??? Or maybe someone is gray marketing in one label?? Just tossing some possible scenarios out there.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com