1977 Smith Woodhouse vintage port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Rune EG

1977 Smith Woodhouse vintage port

Post by Rune EG »

Decanted 6.5 hrs. Dark purple red with touch of brown. Aroma of ripe plums, wet cellar, some spices and tiny bit alcohol. Full body. Smooth and powerful. A lot of fruit (plums) and figs in the taste. Well structured. Nice tannins. Oak, humid cellar, dark chocolate. Long, relatively sharp aftertaste. Expect this vintage port to hold on for several years ahead. 93 pts.
Mahmoud Ali

Re: 1977 Smith Woodhouse vintage port

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

The '77 Smith Woodhouse is a beautiful port - I had it a few years ago and thought it absolutely smashing. Your notes are pretty much descriptive of the bottle I had. Thanks.

Mahmoud.
John M.

Post by John M. »

I love this one too!
Any Port in a storm!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

When Rune mentions this can cellar for "several years ahead" ... in this case, EASILY 2 decades. It is still a primary fruit bomb at nearly 40, mellowing just a bit, but it is so extracted, (color) and youthful (fruit w/out secondary nuances at all), that the only thing missing is serious complexity. Will that still develop? I've always liked this Port ... a lot, but have never found the layers and complexity that some boast is present in this fine VP.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Yes... this Port will outlive me.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I will agree that this lacks the layers of complexity I find in many other Ports. But I love this Port. One the tasting side, it is really enjoyable. And then there is the fact it just looks and tastes like something easily 20 years younger. I'll admit that I like to serve it blind to people and have them guess how old it is. Not fair, but fun.