Ferreira Duque de Braganca 20 Year Old Tawny Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Edward J

Ferreira Duque de Braganca 20 Year Old Tawny Port

Post by Edward J »

I picked up two bottles of this to see what all the fuss was about. So far I had not been impressed with the few wood aged Ports we have had. The first bottle was pleasant enough, certainly better than any of the 10yo's I've tried. It mostly disappeared on a game night leaving me wondering who drank it all. Apparently my mostly non Port loving friends found something they liked. I think an aged tawny can serve as a back up for a corked VP and so the second bottle came open. This bottle was better than the first, it was almost shimmering in the glass with an ethereal glow. Yes it was mostly the same but more. The caramel, hazelnut, long finish, all there. I'm a convert, get me some more tawny! 94pts
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Ferreira Duque de Braganca 20 Year Old Tawny Port

Post by Glenn E. »

Edward J wrote:I'm a convert, get me some more tawny!
Welcome to the dark side! :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

Your notes led me to trying the Fonseca 20YO, very good but I like the Ferreira better. The "Duque" really clinched it for us to stock up on the Kopke offering.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Edward J wrote:Your notes led me to trying the Fonseca 20YO, very good but I like the Ferreira better. The "Duque" really clinched it for us to stock up on the Kopke offering.
I agree that the Ferreira is better - it was my "house 20" for quite a while when I couldn't find the Ramos Pinto. (Older Ramos Pinto bottles with the fancy script-like labels... not the current "RP20" which I don't like nearly as much.)

I think you'll be really happy with those Kopkes that you ordered, too!
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I just opened one of those RP 20 Year Olds this past weekend. The juice has not changed from what I can tell, just the label itself.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Glenn E. wrote:
Edward J wrote:Your notes led me to trying the Fonseca 20YO, very good but I like the Ferreira better. The "Duque" really clinched it for us to stock up on the Kopke offering.
I agree that the Ferreira is better - it was my "house 20" for quite a while when I couldn't find the Ramos Pinto.
I prefer Ferreira over Ramos Pinto for tawny. I usually end up buying Taylor or Sandeman just due to their price (also both good), but would rather have Ferreira.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The RP 30 is fantastic!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

I also picked up a 30yo Sandeman at BevMo, note to follow. Now I see the difference, really just marvelous, and the layers, like turning a page in a book. Not sure if it is worth the extra $$, but having 2-3 ounces of a fine tawny seems like a great way to reflect on your day.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Roy Hersh wrote:The RP 30 is fantastic!
Agreed! Fantastic wine.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

I have also myself had the pleasure of tasting the Ferreira 20YO and I agree it is a wonderful port. (I should really post that TN ).

Having only sampled 2-3 other 20YO tawnies e.g. Taylor and Kopke (I prefer the Ferreira over those 2 as well) what about the Ferreira does separate it from the pack, in your opinion? As I have seen more than a few crowning it as one of, if not the best 20YO out there?
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy Hersh wrote:I just opened one of those RP 20 Year Olds this past weekend. The juice has not changed from what I can tell, just the label itself.
My first encounter with it was at Ramos Pinto in VNdG on the 2014 Harvest Tour, and as you may recall I noted then that the blend seemed to have changed. As I recall you agreed (as did others) at the time, but that Jorge protested that it was not the case.

I have only tasted it once since then, but I still felt like the blend had changed. I liked the old (fancy label) bottles better than the Duque, but the new ones rate below it for me. It's still excellent... it's just fallen out of my top tier for 20-yr olds. :(
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Glenn E. wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:I just opened one of those RP 20 Year Olds this past weekend. The juice has not changed from what I can tell, just the label itself.
My first encounter with it was at Ramos Pinto in VNdG on the 2014 Harvest Tour, and as you may recall I noted then that the blend seemed to have changed. As I recall you agreed (as did others) at the time, but that Jorge protested that it was not the case.
I too think the blend may've changed with the label as I don't like RP20 as much as I use to.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars