2005 Kopke White Colheita Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Bradley Bogdan

2005 Kopke White Colheita Port

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Bottled 2015, popped and poured, enjoyed over 24 hours.

Beautiful golden color, nose of lanolin, good scotch (including a small measure of peat), and hints of honey and white Welch's juice (Niagara grape).

Palate is initially apple and white grape, transitioning to more lanolin in the middle, with a nice heat/fruit balance with a bit of honey at the end. While very nicely balanced and a solidly scoring wine in my book, seems to lack a bit of wow factor for me. With the balance though, I'd be very curious to try some bottled 10-20 years from now. It could progress to great.

90 pts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Edward J

Re: 2005 Kopke White Colheita Port

Post by Edward J »

Well that sounds like a decent enough report, we have 3 bottles on hand and was wondering what your thoughts were on ; 1. Sweetness 2. Suitability for mixing or just on it's own? I suppose there isn't much marketability, but I'd love to easily find (OK just find) a 20 or 30YO White to have on hand.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

It is not particularly sweet, to my palate. While I really like the balance, the complexity is lacking to the point where I wouldn't object to mixing it, but I would wonder if it would be worth mixing this over a basic white Port. I feel white Port tends to get mixed with strong mixers, like tonic or some of the things in the other thread, so quality of the white Port is of less importance, IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

A respectable score for what is essentially a 10-year-old tawny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com