2009 Dow Late Bottled Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Edward J

2009 Dow Late Bottled Vintage Port

Post by Edward J »

In stock at BevMO in a nice cardboard box. Opened and poured a couple of glasses and let sit for an hour or so before drinking. Sour cherry nose? I don't know, but not real pleasant. Initial mouth feel is lots of tannins after you recover from that assault on your palate there is a nice fullness and a bit of depth. Berry/fig rolling out to a hint of tea lea, sometimes. The finish is a decent length but hotter than I like. The second day more of the same. I left a bit out overnight in a glass and it had resolved but was grape juice with alcohol at that point. Not pulled together yet and not sure if it will. At this point it isn't going to dethrone the Fonseca 2008 in my current roster.88pts.
Bradley Bogdan

Re: 2009 Dow's LBV

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I've waited a couple days to post my note on the bottle of 2008 I cracked, as it continued to improve while outside at very roughly cellar temp over the past couple days. No clue if the '09 will as well, but I had similar initial impressions, so it may!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Edward J

Re: 2009 Dow's LBV

Post by Edward J »

After being open several days this port has gone downhill after day 3 making it pretty much unsuitable as a "house port". While I certainly don't expect them them to last, it is a definite plus when they do. Another thing is I don't see a family resemblance as typical Dow. I think I'll put the other bottle away for a while and check back in a few years.