1994 Warre vintage port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Rune EG

1994 Warre vintage port

Post by Rune EG »

Purchased 6 bottles en primeur from Berry Bros, London, in 1995 and picked them up in London sometime during 1996. Since then they have been in our wine cellar. Tested one bottle 7.5 yrs ago (then being 14 yrs old), but that was way too early. Now second bottle after 22 yrs it was ready.

Decanted 6 hrs which seemed to be perfect for this bottle. Deep dark red colour with clear indications of brown coming on. Light rim. Aroma of over ripe berries, minerals, spices. Medium to full body. Taste is powerful and elegant in a nice combination and being quite intense. The taste was so complex that it took time to define the ingredients. A lot of fruit and then minerals, oak, spices, flowers, liquorice etc. Nice balance of fruit/acidity. Tannins are quite heavy, but still well integrated. Slightly on the sweet side, which is OK for me. Long aftertaste. Probably the best Warre vintage port I have tasted. 95 pts.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1994 Warre vintage port

Post by Andy Velebil »

I really like this vintage of Warre's and you're note sums it up really well.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Last time I tried this vintage it was so young and that like 5-6 years. Been hesitant to open another bottle. Bought two cases for a near give away price at time. I think it was like $ 20 a bottle. Sold one case to a friend, in which was the last time I tried it.

This is going to be a tremendous wine as your score indicates, but when do you think it will be in its prime? Another 10-15 years from now to start?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
John M.

Post by John M. »

Great note--great port. I tasted in January 2016 and had a similar experience (but a 13 hour decant).
Any Port in a storm!
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

Hi Moses!
This vintage port is definitely drinkable now.
Based on the intensity and the solid structure I woul think 20 more years should be a minimum estimate.