1985 Ferreira Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

John M.

1985 Ferreira Vintage Port

Post by John M. »

5 Hour decant. Cork was dry and the wine was cloudy. Was concerned it was flawed, I needn't have worried. Clear rim to a cloudy raspberry color, the aromas are subdued with a hint of grass and rhubarb. Rhubarb and strawberry to start. Medium acidity with a dry abrupt finish. Late picked up floral notes and a touch of honey.

94 Points
Any Port in a storm!
Thomas V

Re: 1985 Ferreira Vintage Port

Post by Thomas V »

Thanks for the great note. Really happy this is tasting well. I have one in my cellar.

Do you suspect this still have room to improve or should it be drunk within the next few years?
John M.

Post by John M. »

Seemed to be in a very good spot now--perhaps it will improve a little more in the next decade but its close to its potential IMHO.
Any Port in a storm!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Ferreira can sit at the plateau and hold like like no other port. IMO, the '85 has improved over the last decade or so. Maybe it's still not at the plateau yet? I wasn't as impressed with this vintage a decade ago as I am with now. I split two cases with a friend (down to 5-6 bottles), so I have had this many times over the years.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:Ferreira can sit at the plateau and hold like like no other port. IMO, the '85 has improved over the last decade or so. Maybe it's still not at the plateau yet? I wasn't as impressed with this vintage a decade ago as I am with now. I split two cases with a friend (down to 5-6 bottles), so I have had this many times over the years.
I totally agree with this statement. It is the one VP that seems to defy odds and hold that plateau for what seems an amazingly long time compared to all others. Perhaps it's the elegant style that deceives us all. [shrug.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

I finished the left overs last night by myself, two generous glass fulls. The enjoyment continued, very nice and similar experiences just a little more muted. Also looked a tad less cloudy (I stood this up for 4.5 days prior to decant). Interesting info on the plateau issue. Thanks
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:Ferreira can sit at the plateau and hold like like no other port. IMO, the '85 has improved over the last decade or so. Maybe it's still not at the plateau yet? I wasn't as impressed with this vintage a decade ago as I am with now. I split two cases with a friend (down to 5-6 bottles), so I have had this many times over the years.
I totally agree with this statement. It is the one VP that seems to defy odds and hold that plateau for what seems an amazingly long time compared to all others. Perhaps it's the elegant style that deceives us all. [shrug.gif]
I think that's it - the elegant style. Even when barely mature a Ferreira seems much older and smoother, so as it actually matures it doesn't seem to change as much. Even the 1960 is still showing very nicely.
Glenn Elliott
John M.

Post by John M. »

Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
I think that's it - the elegant style. Even when barely mature a Ferreira seems much older and smoother, so as it actually matures it doesn't seem to change as much. Even the 1960 is still showing very nicely.
The 1960 was outstanding.
Any Port in a storm!
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Totally agree with the sentiments about the gentle, yet long lived, style. This is one of my favorite vintages by them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Phil W

Post by Phil W »

I've had very little Ferreira, but been very impressed with what I've had. Would love to try more, or even a vertical? But very little seen here in the UK. Recently bought a couple of bottles of the '60 which I look forward to trying.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Phil W wrote:I've had very little Ferreira, but been very impressed with what I've had. Would love to try more, or even a vertical? But very little seen here in the UK. Recently bought a couple of bottles of the '60 which I look forward to trying.
I really enjoy the 1960. Hope your bottle shows well when you open it
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Phil W wrote:I've had very little Ferreira, but been very impressed with what I've had. Would love to try more, or even a vertical? But very little seen here in the UK. Recently bought a couple of bottles of the '60 which I look forward to trying.
We held a Ferreira vertical about 10 years ago. I couldn't find a picture of all the bottles, but here are the bottles I brought...

Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars