1985 Quinta do Crasto Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

John M.

1985 Quinta do Crasto Vintage Port

Post by John M. »

5 Hour decant. Clear rim to a pale yellow to a rust brown color. Just a little cloudy. A dynamic nose with cooked cherries, candyish with just a hint of chocolate. Sweet, almost syrupy with a medium body. Starts off with strawberry with white pepper, occasional plum and vanilla. The most brazen feature is the honey finish, unmistakable; it is long and sweet. Surprised by how well this showed.

93 Points
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1985 Quinta do Crasto Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've had this a couple times and it's been a superb VP, just as you describe. Very hard to find these days. Where did you get the bottle?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

This was purchased by one of my friends from WineBid in the past year or so. The Ferreira's were mine, the 1960 purchased from Acker auctions, the 1985 from WineBid several years ago. It was a great night for Port--all were magnificent--as a group likely the best flight I've had. Four of us for dinner and Port, all of us had similar scores and the same relative rankings of 1-2-3. I love the small group tasting---one interactive conversation.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:This was purchased by one of my friends from WineBid in the past year or so. The Ferreira's were mine, the 1960 purchased from Acker auctions, the 1985 from WineBid several years ago. It was a great night for Port--all were magnificent--as a group likely the best flight I've had. Four of us for dinner and Port, all of us had similar scores and the same relative rankings of 1-2-3. I love the small group tasting---one interactive conversation.
Excellent. I love smaller tasting too. Everyone gets multiple tastes of the same wine and it's one conversation rather than many at a large table or two tables.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I participate in some small tastings too. Besides the one conversation, we also really get to see how things evolve over time with just 4 to 6 bottles over 3-4 hours.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:I participate in some small tastings too. Besides the one conversation, we also really get to see how things evolve over time with just 4 to 6 bottles over 3-4 hours.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
The other upside to it...the only downside being one generally don't get to try as many bottles as one can in a larger group setting.