1980 Sandeman Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Thomas V

1980 Sandeman Vintage Port

Post by Thomas V »

Date: 03/06/2016

Place: Folkestedet, Århus Portwine club Vintage in 3 decades.

Condition:

Decanted 3½ hours beforehand. The cork came out mostly in 1 piece put the bottom had broken off. Was decanted through a tea filter to remove any cork residue.

Served 15 minutes post fridge as the tasting room was extremely hot at 25+ degrees Celsius and in the first flight of 2.

Note:

Red brown colour. Slightly more transparent that anticipated. Very intricate bouquet of vanilla and plums, quite delicious. The nose though was a tad dominated by alcohol as well as the taste. That was mostly a result of the lack of any lingering fruit in this wine. In my opinion this wine has peaked some years ago and is in remission, I would suggest you open one if you have some in your cellar to sample it sooner rather than later. It was still a a fun experience and my first try with a 1980 and a VP from Sandeman.

89 points
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1980 Sandeman Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

No real surprise it showed as it did. This was a tough time period for many producers and Sandeman was no exception. The plus side is we've got VP's that are ready to drink a bit earlier than normal :winebath:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Re: 1980 Sandeman Vintage Port

Post by Moses Botbol »

I had a case of magnums of this a while back and was totally liking them 89-91 points would assume I would've rated it. Last bottle was gone like 10 years ago. Tough vintage to find maybe one of their last "good vintages" until '94.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars