1985 Barros vintage port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Rune EG

1985 Barros vintage port

Post by Rune EG »

Got as a present from a business associate at my 50th birthday 11 years ago. Did not have high hopes for this bottle, but it appeared to be better than expected.

Decanted 7 hrs. A lot of sediments. Quite pale red at opening, but ended up to be light brown with a touch of red. Tiny bit oxidized, but not disturbing. Aroma of prunes, raisins and also some ripe plums. Medium body. Smooth/elegant taste with prunes and oak, sweetish style. Quite strong tannins. Aftertaste is medium to long, and showing some minerals. 90 pts.
Bradley Bogdan

Re: 1985 Barros vintage port

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Wow, that does sound like a good showing. Did you by chance get a taste before 7 hours? Curious how this one evolved, as I occasionally see it at good prices in the US but pass after a "meh" showing at the FTLOP '85 horizontal last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

Tasted it only once which was after one hour abt 86 pts.
However, I checked the aroma abt every hour and it had a gradual positive development, reaching the posted level after abt 6 hrs.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Rune EG wrote:Tasted it only once which was after one hour abt 86 pts.
However, I checked the aroma abt every hour and it had a gradual positive development, reaching the posted level after abt 6 hrs.
I appreciate the thoughts, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

Glad to hear that this showed nicely. I had a similar experience to yours, but mine was about 6 years ago. Similar impressions then, and mine also improved over about a 6 hour decant. I would try this again ... at the right price.

-- Gary