NV Martinez Director’s Rich tawny port -- (minimum 50 years old)

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Rune EG

NV Martinez Director’s Rich tawny port -- (minimum 50 years old)

Post by Rune EG »

June 2015 I asked on FTLOP Forum “What is Martinez Director's Port Rich?”
I had purchased 6 bottles in an auction, but I was not sure what it was. Based on information received from FTLOP-members and elsewhere it seems to be a Tawny Reserve. My wife and I have now consumed three of the six bottles. They all “performed” in the same way and this tasting note is therefore covering all three bottles.

Bottled abt 1972, so being a Tawny Reserve the port itself is probably from abt 1965 = 50 years old!). Produced and Bottled by Martinez Gassiot & Co Ltd, Oporto.

T-corks in perfect condition. Decanted 2 hrs. Tiny bit oxidized. Small fine sediments. Medium dark brown colour with a yellowgreen touch. Diesel aroma at start, but is fading away with decanting time. Aroma of wet cellar, flowers, bitter almonds and hints of spirit. Medium to full body. A powerful tawny at start, then wet cellar, citrus, oak, nuts, caramel and some minerals and bitterness towards the end. Quite smooth and round style with nice tannins. Some spirit is noticeable. There is actually also a sweet undertone in this tawny. Medium length aftertaste. 88 pts.
Attachments
872-1.jpg
872-1.jpg (172.01 KiB) Viewed 321 times
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: NV Martinez Director’s Rich tawny port (minimum 50 years old)

Post by Andy Velebil »

Very cool. While these value Ports really aren't worth the hassle of cellering, they sure are fun to try when someone else does the aging for you. [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com