Dow's 2008 LBV Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Ray Barnes

Dow's 2008 LBV Port

Post by Ray Barnes »

This wine was unstoppered to celebrate the end of a very demanding income tax filing season (which started on February 15), and of course Father's Day - not necessarily in that order.

The comments below reflect my opinions along with those of a couple with whom I met yesterday. Overall, this LBV left a very positive impresssion on all of us. If i had to come up with a relatively guilt free house port, this would be on my short list. It offers hints of espresso, chocolate (dark/cocoa), blueberries, maraschino cherries, caramel and black licorice. Very fine aromas, deep purplish red, and on the palate it is mouth filling without feeling heavy. The finish is rich, very long and silky. For my taste, the balance of richness and finesse won me over, the style of this wine is impeccable. Almost needless to say, the unaminous verdict was that it was absolutely delicious. While I have read of comparisons between premium vintage port and Pauillac ("Chateau Latour on steroids"), I would venture to offer this wine has some lovely Burgundian character, not too far removed from the fine Les Suchots uncorked about a month ago.

Overall rating - excellent plus, one of the best LBVs I have ever been fortunate to taste. I would gladly wager the moderate cost of a bottle this could pass for a vintage port in a blind tasting. If I could rate this using the Hachette de Vins system, it gets ** and a red heart, a Coup de Coeur. :clap: