1994 Quinta do Crasto Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Edward J

1994 Quinta do Crasto Vintage Port

Post by Edward J »

Bottle 2 of 7. Cork was tight and sweet. 6 hour decant, very, very dark. This showed lots of refinement when compared next to a LBV we also had. Not a powerhouse, and this bottle seemed a bit flat, so not the best showing. Still very enjoyable, light nose that reminded me of a hospital OR. Very smooth and well integrated with some stone fruit and herbal quality. It went very well with a blueberry shortbread dessert. Not the longest finish, in fact seemed a bit clipped. A decent VP, but not what I was expecting. 90pts
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1994 Quinta do Crasto VP

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've come to the conclusion it is time to leave most middle to upper end 1994's alone for about another 8-10 years. Many of them have been in weird places the past 5 years or so, some have started to come out of it while some entered it late. This is normally a darn good VP.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 1994 Quinta do Crasto VP

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yes, the last of the three bottles I've had of this VP was extremely tight and in its dumb phase a couple of years ago. Ex-cellars bottles of this have all been excellent .. low to mid-90s range for this VP. When it is on, or has had a decent amount of time to open up, it has shown well ... but initially, reticent. Give them more time in the cellar as Andy mentioned. They will still drink well in the next decade.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com