1970 Taylor Vintage Port -- Averys

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

John Vachon

1970 Taylor Vintage Port -- Averys

Post by John Vachon »

(Averys shipped btl. 1972)

A big fan of Averys bottled port but this may be just shipped?

Capsel-Taylor port-?4?-XX-1970. Label Averys shipped

Nose: strong-spirit a little-great smell-Wow

Body: very full

Taste: great-on the younger side

Aftertaste: long

19+/20

P.S. young could go 20-30 years
Bradley Bogdan

Re: 1970 Taylor -Averys shipped btl. 1972

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Some of those bottles of Avery's are wonderful. If it has a selo, it was just shipped in bottle, not bought in barrel and bottled in the UK. There was an example of this from BBR amongst the '66s we tried at the FTLOP tasting last weekend, though I'm forgetting which exactly it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

John Vachon

Post by John Vachon »

Selo?-hard plastic capsel?

It had a lead capsel.
Edgar B.
Location: Port Angeles, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Edgar B. »

I decanted a '70 Taylor yesterday around 1 pm and drank around 8pm. It was magnificent! I was totally shocked as it had a low shoulder fill and I was just getting it out of its' misery, so to speak. Had a hard wax capsule, cork intact, and bottled in '72 at Taylor as per the label. The '70 tasted last week was very fine (94), but this one was so very complete w/unctuous fruit and very light caramel and cane syrup and sweet spice w/ very long finish. And I thought it was gonna be a goner! A 98er for sure!!
Last edited by Edgar B. on Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Selo is the paper strip with an ID number on it, usually under the capsule, and in some cases I've seen it between two capsules.
John Vachon

Post by John Vachon »

No selo.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Unless the Selo fell off at some point (sometimes they're applied just overtop of the capsule, and aren't very durable in that scenario), this was probably Avery's bottled in the UK rather than shipped in bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:Unless the Selo fell off at some point (sometimes they're applied just overtop of the capsule, and aren't very durable in that scenario), this was probably Avery's bottled in the UK rather than shipped in bottle.
Agreed.

It isn't a perfect science, as you say. It was possible for British bottlers to get selos that they could apply when they bottled, but it seems like most never bothered. Those are typically the ones where the selo goes over the top of the capsule, which then as you point out can easily fall off again later.

But even that's not a guarantee, as selo-over-capsule can also be an indicator of a late-release bottle directly from the lodge in Gaia.

So...

Selo under capsule, probably bottled in Oporto, but not a guarantee. If UK bottled, the label will say so. Assuming it has a label. :wink:
Selo over capsule, probably bottled in the UK, but possibly also a late-release bottle directly from the lodge in Gaia. Again, the label should make it clear if there is one.
No selo, probably bottled in the UK, but possibly a late-release bottle from which the selo has detached and fallen off.

Let's not even get into the possibilities if it's been recorked... [shok.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn,
I may be wrong, but I can't recall ever seeing a non-Porto bottled Port with a Selo. Now it is the Port trade so anything is a rare possibility, but which have you seen UK bottled with a Selo?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:Glenn,
I may be wrong, but I can't recall ever seeing a non-Porto bottled Port with a Selo. Now it is the Port trade so anything is a rare possibility, but which have you seen UK bottled with a Selo?
Unfortunately I can't recall, so it's entirely possible that my memory is incorrect. But I could swear that I've seen UK-bottled VPs with a selo, and could also swear that I've been told that UK bottlers could get selos if they wanted them.

But it's a pretty vague memory...

I do need to do an inventory one of these days... if I can remember, I'll keep an eye out.
Glenn Elliott
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

I don't believe I've seen a UK bottled with selo; if you do find one, please post images.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andy wrote to Glenn:
I may be wrong, but I can't recall ever seeing a non-Porto bottled Port with a Selo.
I just went into my cellar, then looked at a wall full of old and mostly British bottles of Vintage Port from 1963 and every great vintage back to 1912. Not a single Selo on any of them. But maybe, just maybe someone will find an example that will enlighten us all. However, I can't remember ever seeing one.

Alex, Tom, Derek and Julian would be the guys to ask, besides the Port trade.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

John V.,

How long was your bottle decanted for?

Same question applies for Edgar.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote: I just went into my cellar, then looked at a wall full of old and mostly British bottles of Vintage Port from 1963 and every great vintage back to 1912. Not a single Selo on any of them.
Would make sense. Hard to think they ship roll of selo's with the pipe to be added at bottling.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
John Vachon

Re: 1970 Taylor Vintage Port -- Averys

Post by John Vachon »

Roy:

Pop and pour.