Woodbridge 2001 Portacinco

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

dave berg

Woodbridge 2001 Portacinco

Post by dave berg »

I was very pleased again to find Portacinco at the Grocery Outlet in Bonney Lake, Wa., this time the 2001, for about $10. As usual perhaps, this wine has minimal nose, maybe a bit of blackberry. Actually may be reminiscent of Manischewitz blackberry a bit (well, actually that stuff smells pretty good.) The character of this port reminds me of a fresh sweet fermenting must, or maybe a bit like balsamic vinegar. I'd say again the predominant flavor is black cherry, with a slight bright fruity overtone, slight licorice as well as slight tannin--but not the mouth filling tannin of a cabernet or petit syrah port. There is maybe an almond extract sort of quality, which I'd say is on the border between taste and aroma sensed on the exhale after a sip. At first it was quite oaky--very nice. It's a dark blackish-red in color. This port is not complex or intriguing--the flavors are just too big, yet it is not cloying either, and every sip is pleasant and satisfying. I'd highly recommend it, especially at anywhere near this price.
Bradley Bogdan

Re: Woodbridge 2001 Portacinco

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Grocery Outlet always seems to have an interesting gem or two amongst all the very cheap plonk.

Glad you found something cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad