2000 Sandeman Vau Vintage port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Rune EG

2000 Sandeman Vau Vintage port

Post by Rune EG »

Released here in Norway at the State Wine Monopoly November 2009. The rear label stating a message from George Sandeman incl the following: “Cellaring potential 5 to 10 years”. As this port was bottled in 2002 (stated on the bottle), that means the potential is until 2007 - 2012. If I had noticed this before, it would have been consumed long time ago.

Cork was in perfect condition. Decanted 5 hrs. Medium dark red colour with a light rim. Unpleasant aroma when being opened, and I was close to not drinking it, but decided to try decanting. The unpleasant aroma was to some degree reduced during the decanting period. At the time of drinking it was a deep aroma of fruit with hints of oak and old wet cellar. Medium body. Pleasant fruity taste, then some tannins coming on, hints of oak and minerals. An OK vintage ports which should be consumed without further cellaring. 85 pts.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 2000 Sandeman Vau Vintage port

Post by Roy Hersh »

It sounds like this bottle was possibly corked from your description. Was that something you considered?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

I am not sure. When bottles are corked I often find that the "negative cork impression" is increasing in the strength of the aroma. Last Saturday we had unfortunately a corked Brunello which had that behaviour. When it comes to this Sandeman Vau the bad aroma was reduced during decanting time, but did not fully disappear.
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I've not had the 2000 Vau Vintage but plenty of the 1999 and it's been drinking very well, in a sleek, fruit-forward manner. I can't imagine that the Vau, apparently from a single vineyard would not have been even better in the excellent 2000 vintage. I've still got several bottles of '99 from when it was well priced in the local market only a couple of years ago. Strangely enough the Vau has disappeared from the market.

Cheers ........................ Mahmoud.