1977 Warre Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

1977 Warre Vintage Port

Post by Eric Menchen »

Removal of capsule showed clear seepage, with some gummy red syrup on part of the cork, which came out fairly easily with the Durand. Decanted for just over four hours and poured back into the bottle with first tasting about 90 minutes later.

Color is garnet with good clarity. I'm not seeing any obvious bricking. Aromas are evasive. There is definitely some cherry Sucrets with that medical character on top of the fruit, and some leather is in the background. After that I'm trying to discern a spice. I'm thinking of sage, but it isn't that strong.

There is definite cherry medicine in the mouth, with a good amount of alcohol warmth in the throat. Medium-light bodied. There is hardly any tannin, but nice acid to balance the sweetness. At the moment I'm thinking 88-89 points. I'm going to continue with some cheeses.
Last edited by Eric Menchen on Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Menchen

Re: 1977 Warres Vintage Port

Post by Eric Menchen »

This added some body as the evening progressed, and it went well with some of the stronger cheeses. But before I raised my score I detected some VA as well, so no change.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

It doesn't sound like this was representative showing of this Port. Bottle variation do you think or ??
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Yes. I've had a number of outstanding leakers, but this was not one of them. I've purchased two different cases of this Port and as far as can recall, the other bottles (~12 consumed, some from each case) have been better. I had pulled this one because of its condition.